Frequently Asked Questions


We do not have a chimney, but would love a wood burning stove in our home can we have one?

Yes… Simply Fires offer the highest quality Twin Wall insulated flues and components which enable a wood burning or Multifuel stove to be situated almost anywhere and in any building. Due to the difficulty of twin wall flues and the associated components we can arrange an onsite survey as part of the installation process by our HETAS registered installer and can also supply the chimney products through our online store.

What size and output of stove do I need?

Have you tried our HEAT CALCULATOR? It’s on the home page. :) This will provide you with a useful guide of the heat output required for your home.

It is important to try and get the most appropriate output for the area you are trying to heat. If you have the stove in a fireplace it is important to ensure it fits into your fireplace opening with sufficient clearance. Other factors to consider are:

  • The insulation value of the walls
  • Whether the windows are double or single glazed
  • Do you have high or vaulted ceilings?
  • Having stairs in the room will also affect the distribution of heat
  • Archways or door openings into other rooms.

What is the best fuel to burn on my stove?

Do not purchase unsuitable fuels or your money will be going up in smoke!

Fire wood should be seasoned beforehand and we recommend burning logs with a low moisture content of around 20%. Unseasoned wood is hard to ignite, burns poorly, produces very little heat as most of the energy is being used to drive off the extra moisture. This will in turn create tar / creosote that can damage the appliance and block the flue, which in turn risk the danger of a chimney fire or fumes escaping back into the room. Burning green or wet wood is very inefficient, creates lots of polluting smoke and in many cases will void the warranty on your stove and flue so must always be avoided.

Of cause, on a multifuel stove you can also burn mineral fuel (Coal) .Always check on the product that your burning that it is suitable for a “closed appliance” i.e. a Stove, and that the fuel you are burning is suitable for use in the Area that you live.


What type of Stove should I buy?

You can either purchase a Wood Burning or a Multifuel Stove; however this really depends on personal choice. If you would like the option to burn both Smokeless fuel and logs then go for a Multifuel burner. This style come with a grate and Ash pan to help in the burning of smokeless fuel but if you intend to only ever burn logs on your chosen stove then a Wood Burner will by far the best way forward for your requirements. Check out our store for large selection of both.

Cast Iron or Steel stove what is the difference?

There is very little difference regarding performance between the two materials when talking about the efficiency of a stove; Cast Iron will generally hold its heat longer than steel, but will take a longer time to heat up. It is made in moulds and can include motifs and patterns whereas steel will always be plain. Cast Iron needs to be “Seasoned” (broken in gently) within the first week of burning to avoid cracking; and is definitely recommended.

What kind of Hearth do I require?

A hearth is always required when installing a wood or Multifuel stove; it must be a suitable non-combustible hearth of the right size and specification to protect from any combustible material. It also provides an area to catch any embers or burning fuel that might fall from the fire or stove and clearly highlight the area where combustible material such as carpet must not placed. If in Doubt, ask us.

Have you thought about those little finishing touches? Visit our fireside accessories and purchase a fender or a fireguard to finish of your hearth.

Do I have to install an Air Ventilator?

This will depend on the size of the stove you chose. Any stove that produces over 5KW of rated output will need to have an air vent installed in the room to conform to regulations in Approved Document J of the Building Regulations.

Do I need to install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?


From 1st October 2010 new legislation was brought in as part of building regulations requiring that a Carbon Monoxide Detector is installed within the room for all new or replacement solid fuel appliances, this also brings peace of mind for both you and your family when the stove is lit that it is running safely.

FREE CO Detector with ALL STOVE ORDERS placed through Simply Fires.

CO alarms should be regularly tested and should not be regarded as a substitute for regular maintenance of the appliance and chimney.

When & How Often Do I need to Sweep my Chimney?

A good chimney / flue is essential to the continuing efficient and safe operation of all solid fuel burning heating and cooking appliances. Sweeping the flue keeps the chimney clear, to ensure the appliance operates efficiently and safely. This removes any tar like deposits and will reduce the risk of a chimney fire. If wet wood has been burnt it is advisable to sweep the chimney more often to remove these deposits. It is recommended that chimney sweeping is best carried out by an approved Chimney Sweep at least once a year. Always check that the sweep is qualified and leaves a sweeping certificate.

The HETAS ‘Find Chimney Sweep’ search makes it easy to find your nearest HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep:

What are the Smoke Controlled areas and a DEFRA approved appliance?

Many people frequently ask about the implications of installing solid fuel and wood burning appliances in “smoke controlled areas”. In brief, the Clean Air Act allows Local authorities to declare “smoke controlled areas” in which the emissions of smoke from domestic properties are banned. This act was originally created to prevent the damaging “smogs” that used to frequently occur.

Under the Act it is also an offence to emit smoke from a chimney of a building, which is located in a “smoke controlled area” or to acquire an “unauthorised fuel” for use within a smoke control area unless it is used in an “exempt” appliance. Many parts of the UK are still designated as “smoke control areas”. More details can be viewed at, which also gives information on authorised fuels and exempt appliances. A DEFRA approved appliance is one that has passed specific tests for burning wood in smoke control areas. Just because a stove may be described as clean burning does not mean it is automatically approved for use in smoke control areas, which is why the smoke control website should be checked.

How do I measure for Either a Low Fender or a Club fender?

fenderAll you need to do to ensure a perfectly fitting fender is follow the simple instructions bellow, making sure you give all five dimensions for Club fenders. If any of the requested dimensions do not apply to your fender please mark N/A. For low fenders only dimensions A and B are required.

We will always assume that the fender is to sit around dimensions A and B unless stated otherwise.

A: This is the width of your hearth; please give the exact size and we will build in an appropriate plus tolerance.

B: This is the depth of your hearth, please give the exact size up to the front face of your skirting board or wall if no skirting is present.

C: (CLUB FENDERS ONLY): This is the width of your mantle uprights at the relevant fender model seat height, so that we can position the seats so as not to interfere with them.

D: (CLUB FENDERS ONLY): This is the depth of your mantle uprights (i.e. how far they protrude from the wall). This dimension is necessary if dimension C is close to being the same as dimension A and the seats need to finish short up against the front face of the mantle uprights.

E: SKIRTING THICKNESS (CLUB FENDERS ONLY): This is the thickness of your skirting from the wall so that we can finish the base up to the skirting and the seats up to the wall

What does the Fender bespoke/made to measure service offer?

Our bespoke service offers a choice of corner styles and base profiles these being round or square bases with either plain or patterned corners.

It does exactly as it says on the tin, you give us the sizes and we will make your fender.

Fill out a Quick Quote form to get in contact with us today…